Food and drinks at concession stands are mostly high in fat, calories, and sodium. Measure Up Marion and the Marion County Children’s Alliance is working with concession stands in Marion County’s parks to serve healthier options.
Do we think it will work? Yes. Why? Because in the parks where we have worked with concessions managers, the healthy food sells out first! Parents are happier, kids are happier and the concession stand is selling even more. As a matter of fact, the stand managers are asking us to “up” the number of fresh fruits, baked chips, and other healthy options.
We have proved what other healthcare groups have found what happens when healthier choices are available. In their studies, profits went up, and the longer the choices are offered, the more they’re purchased and the more profits rose.
Parents making healthier choices made their children more likely to choose healthy also. So be a good role model!
Healthy concessions can be found at:
- Big Sun Youth Soccer
- Hampton Aquatic Center
- Jervey Gantt Aquatic Fun Center
- Oak-Griner Baptist Church
- Scott Carrigan Baseball Park
- Shocker Park
- Tuscawilla Park
- Wrigley Sportsplex
- Blessed Trinity School
Criteria for Concessions
3 or more beverages sold at concessions shall be:
- Water, Nonfat, or 1% low fat milk (including dairy or non-dairy milk, chocolate, or other flavored milk not containing more than 15 grams of added sugar per 250 gram serving or 3 teaspoons sugar per 1 cup milk)
- 100% fruit/vegetable juice Fruit-based drinks containing at least 50% juice and no added caloric sweeteners
- All other non-caloric beverages, including diet sodas
- Sports drinks less than or equal to 100 calories
- No greater than 12 ounces except for water, with a preference for juices in small size portions (6 ounces)
- Not more than 250 calories
- Not more than 35% calories from fat with the exception of nuts and seeds; snack mixes and other foods of which nuts are a part must meet the 35% standard
- Not more than 10% of calories from saturated fat
- Does not contain trans-fat added during processing (hydrogenated oils and partially hydrogenated oils)
- Not more than 35% total weight from sugar and caloric sweeteners with the exception of fruits and vegetables that have not been processed with added sweeteners or fats