Shopping At The Supermarket
How do you change your shopping to improve your health? Here are some tried-and-true tips to make that happen.
Shop the Walls
One of the best things to do to change your eating for a healthier lifestyle is to “Shop the outside”! When you go to the grocery store, take your cart around the outside walls because that’s where you will find produce, fresh meats, fresh dairy, and very few — if any — processed foods.
Don’t Go Hungry
If you go shopping when you’re hungry, you’re more likely to buy too much and too much that’s not good for you. Even if it’s just a small snack of peanuts or another protein-packed snack (maybe an apple with a piece of cheese), put a little something in your stomach before you get to the store.
Visit ChooseMyPlate.gov and get great advice to help you get organized, save money, and pick healthier options.
- Discover how much you could be saving
- Get tips for making healthy, low-cost meals
- Learn how to find the best deals
- Tips and tricks for every aisle
- Learn how the “unit price” leads to better buys
- Make smarter choices using the food label
- Create meals faster with kitchen timesavers
- Tips for any family
- Try new recipes your family will love!
- Budget-conscious 2-week menus
- Grocery and pantry staples lists
- A cookbook that includes these 25 recipes